Mobilizing for Health Equity Training Series
In 2019, Having Our Say (HOS) conducted an eight-part webinar series on “Mobilizing for Health Equity”. This series was designed to build knowledge and tools for community-based organizations and grassroots advocates to better engage in state and local advocacy to fight for health equity. *NEW* How did the training go? View a one-page evaluations here!
View and Share Archived Trainings
1. What is Health Equity?
Thursday, January 31st from 11:00am – 12:00pm
Topics: What does health equity mean for communities of color in California? Speakers talk about how their organizations create a policy agenda and advocate for systems change to advance equity.
- Dr. Angelo Williams, Deputy Director at California Black Health Network
- Lee Lo, California Policy Advocate at Southeast Asian Resource Action Center
2. Budget & Legislative Advocacy (Part 1)
Thursday, February 28th from 11:00am – 12:00pm
Topics: Introduction of the legislative and budget cycle, the key players involved, and how to leverage policy through advocacy. This high-level webinar will explain the importance of timing throughout the legislative and budget cycle and will be a primer for future webinars that take a deeper dive into strategizing to maximize advocacy efforts.
Linda Tenerowicz, Policy Advocate at California Pan-Ethnic Health Network
3. Budget & Legislative Advocacy (Part 2)
Thursday, April 25th from 11:00am – 12:00pm
Topics: What is the current state of budget and policy proposals that attempt to advance health equity in CA? What should advocates anticipate/consider in the period between now and June 15? (i.e. May Revise, budget hearings, etc.) What happens after June 15, 2019?
- Scott Graves, Director of Research at California Budget & Policy Center
- Christina Lares, Community Engagement Manager at California Latinas for Reproductive Justice
Key Budget Process Resources
- State Budget Process Guide and Infographic
- Relationship Between Budget Process & Policy Bill Process Guide
- County Budget Process Guide and Infographic
4. Media & Social Media Advocacy
Thursday, June 27th from 11:00am – 12:00pm
6. Community Organizing
Thursday, August 22nd from 11:00am – 12:00pm
Topics: What is organizing? Speakers cover its theoretical models or framework, and examples of tangible successes/challenges. This learning will help us understand why organizing is necessary and how it can be applied to advocate for systems change to advance health equity.
7. County Advocacy
Thursday, September 26th from 11:00am – 12:00pm
Topics: The goal of this webinar is to provide an overview of County governments including structure, jurisdiction and budget, and to share examples of advocacy wins with County governments
- Eunisses Hernandez, Los Angeles Campaign Coordinator, JustLeadershipUSA